RSS

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Daddy's Little Girl

My pops used to call me his neat, sweet treat.  Funny.  Growing up I had always been just the opposite.  A terror is more like it. Although I eventually began to embody his nickname, there were times when my circumstances were a bloody mess.  But up until the day he died, Pops always encouraged me to do two things:  stick to the facts and let my life be a display of God's goodness.

Sounds like something my heavenly Father also told me during the course of this ordeal with my pending divorce, becoming a single mother and being unemployed with no benefits.  It's like He stepped into the void that my father's passing left and helped my mom and brother get my back to get me back on my feet.And since I made the choice to embrace my inherent value, since I made the choice not to go back into abuse, He has literally proven that He will give good success to everything I put my hands to.    

At first it was with things that are typically unnoticeable to those without an eye for His goodness:  a mixed martial arts class that simultaneously beat me down while building me back up; a decent tax return; being able to pay some bills...the stuff we all take for granted.    

I don't know if it was because I was grateful, or if it was because God is just that good (more than likely it's the latter), but slowly and surely, He began to show me that what may be difficult--even impossible--for humanity is nothing to Him.  He has more strength in a fingernail than anything on this earth.    

     -  Cost free medical care for me
     -  A long overdue surgery for my son at no cost to me
     -  An interview, then a second interview, then getting hired for a job
   

It's like He literally opened the windows of heaven and poured out blessings for my NOW because I presented my past and all its pain and agony to Him to take care of.  And just a few moments ago, He presented to me the news that my future is blessed as well!I was told I was eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  What the heck does that mean?  For me, it means 100% payment of tuition and fees, a housing allowance plus $1000 a year for books.  I can get my Master's degree at NO COST to me!

But there's more:  should I choose not to go back to school, I can actually pass this on as an inheritance to my son.  In 13 years when he graduates from high school, HE could be the one going to school with all those benefits.  He'll never have to worry about paying back school loans or struggling to find a place to stay while in school.

My Pops was a good man, and He served the same mighty God I now embrace as my own.  I wonder if he's up there in Jesus' ear, asking Him to finally pour out blessing after blessing because his little girl is finally focused in the right direction.  I don't know. What I do know is I'm grateful.

This Daddy's Little Girl finally knows what it means to trust in God 100%.

Although His blessing for you may be totally different, the fact of the matter is if He can pour it out on the likes of me--at times stubborn, rebellious, ungrateful and selfish--then He can do the same and even more for anyone else!  Your biological pops may not have put you up on a pedestal like mine did.  But our heavenly Father does that and more for anyone willing to embrace Him as their own.

I would love to hear about how God has blessed you in your current journey!

0 comments:

Post a Comment