RSS

Monday, February 21, 2011

Sweet or Sour Words: is this a Suggestion or an Attack?

by Tahlitha Chadwick

 
 
Sometimes I wonder as a wife, are the words I speak to my husband filled with potential or just plain ol' put downs?
 
Now I know a heated discussion in any marriage can turn a conversation sour, but what about those seemingly sweet conversations that start off in the kitchen where you're cookin' it up, everything smells wonderful and he's dipping into every pot you have on the stove.
 
After 9 years of marriage I'm still learning that the words I choose are just like choosing choice meats, I decide the cut. My choice of words will either move us forward or set us back, yield results or cause resentment. Suggestions put in a positive perspective will free up a desire to improve, whereas an attack will only shut that desire down, completely. 
 
Our marriage has, at times, been filled with hurtful and unhealthy words, where lovey-dovey went right on out the window. You know my flaws and I definitely know yours...so lets get it ON! And thinking back I can only imagine how we could have expressed our needs much better than that. My words could have just as easily been beneficial as they were critical. Saying what I wanted from him and not just wanting to hammer my point home.  
 
And this is by no means suggesting that you should tip toe around a serious issue or sweep anything under the rug that needs to be addressed, nothing gets solved by ignoring it, however, a woman who can speak well inside of her home, to her husband and children, and gets results, can expect to have an equal effect on her job, in school, at church, and wherever she chooses her words wisely.
 
Let's choose words that encourage, inspire, acknowledge, and makes a point...all at the same time. 
 
My-life, it can be done! Do your words add potential to your relationship? 
 
 
 
 
Tahlitha Chadwick is a writer. Give her a pencil and paper and she's happy. Her days are filled with raising her kids, loving her husband, and giving herself some space when it's needed. What she prays for when she writes or speaks, is that it's done effectively. Words have power.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment